Saturday, August 06, 2005

 

Biblical Drama

Words annoy me sometimes. I get tired of reading and writing with no evidence of change. Too many words. Dramatic? Extreme? Yep, I want piercing, “sharper than a double-edged sword” kinds of surprises! Well, that’s what the Israelites got when they asked for water. Mind you, they weren’t straightforward or nice about it. Supposedly they grumbled and murmured amongst themselves. Sounds like now. Have you heard the complaining? Me? Okay, I confess. Our miserable state derives from the same human reasons those poor thirsty souls didn’t just ask God or talk to Moses without the accusations. How different is this?
Dear President Bush,

I realize it has been a difficult task leading our country into conflict. Decisions have surely been torturous. We can see why Freedom must be protected. We pray you will have the wisdom to carry our military men and women through to the end. It doesn’t seem like you will be able to get them home soon enough but we hope you will do what you can, with God’s promises behind you.
But no, Moses received no such encouragement or trust that we know of. And he came through anyway. He was obedient…He struck the rock one time and the water gushed forth! How dramatic is that? Let’s burn it into memory. They did…and the story was preserved. So why didn’t the Hebrew nation resound with joy when Jesus said, “I am the water of life; he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” ~John 4:14; 7:37,38

For crying out loud, Paul got it! “I don’t want you to be ignorant, brethren, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and did all eat the same spiritual meat; and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.” ~1 Cor. 10:1-4 Verse 11 continues, “Now all these things happened unto them for examples.”

Does this not strengthen your faith? Mrs. Schaeffer said these things were given to men “to experience with understanding, that they might know.” Moses struck the rock---once---as Jesus was struck---once---on the cross.

Why didn’t I get it? I feel like one of the blinded Jews. I did read my Bible for a time but it was like the seed planted on hard ground. I was taught the stories. I was never taught the Bible.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?