Wednesday, August 24, 2005

 

"Guard the Deposit Entrusted to You"

Explanations, I feel, are in order for why we left the church. Not excuses, facts. We are directed to maintain the Church’s purity.
O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. Avoid the irreverent babble
and contradictions of what is falsely called ‘knowledge,’ for by professing it
some have swerved from the faith. Grace be with you.”
~1Timothy: 6:20-21
The Church is to stay the course (I’ve always wanted to say that, since The Patriot!) So am I a quitter, leaving the church? Well, many have told me we need the church and some remind me that the church needs us. Usually they are very unconvincing. They use the Hebrews directive but my commentary gives us an out on that whole notion of “not forsaking the gathering”. There is no doubt the church needs followers but the key would be to find a shepherd taking his flock to pastures green with grass, rather than weeds. I am not an expert on church purity. I have had no formal theology courses (thanks be to God!)…Music majors were excused from university requirements because of the massive workload for music degrees…so I even escaped the one Bible class I could have succumbed to. I have no idea where the imbalance (heavy on the grace, sin lite sermons) and false teaching comes from but it is easy to point finger at…um…seminaries? Or maybe education in general. My son is at a Christian college but after all, professors must come from somewhere besides Heaven, unfortunately. So there are things like PC history---lots on women, slaves, and Indians---good, fun American white man hating! “None of the gospels were written by eye-witnesses” quote found in a humanities textbook; Jefferson, the deist lecture. This is worse, profoundly lethal, coming from real bona fide Christian teachers. Does anybody see why? Well, the teachers didn’t when I confronted them. Ya know I have to let off “steam”. It is not my purpose to trash Christian institutions. And this isn’t catharsis for the sake of my sanity. (Although, I confess, it’s a bit therapeutic.) I want it to be fixed! This is wholly purpose driven. I am imploring any and all fellow purists to bury themselves in the Word, pray feverishly, and blog like you have never done!

…Do you think we’ll ever be done? Picture this…we’re all bleary-eyed staring at our computer screens…and the next hair-split second, we see Jesus! Amen? Amen.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?